Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Fall leaves or fireworks fallout?


On New Years in Amsterdam there was the fireworks display put on by the government, but more striking to me were the displays put on by the people. It seemed every Dutch family bought fireworks and set them off in the streets. They started setting off firecrackers around 2PM, but by midnight they were in full force.

I would say that there were professional quality displays going off every 2 or 3 houses down my entire street. The only difference is that with professional displays, the fireworks go UP. Dutch family fireworks hit cars, roofs, and burn in the street like a bonfire when they malfunction. I've never seen anything quite like it but I'm glad I did - especially from the safety of my apartment.

The streets have been covered with paper ever since! It looks kind of like fall leaves to me!

No comments: