Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Gorefest at La Boqueria


I love watching Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmerman on the Travel Channel. They're always going somewhere exotic, shopping in the local markets and trying native delicacies. In Barcelona there's a large outdoor market called La Boqueria where they sell things like gourmet ham, candied fruit and fresh ground spices......



But they also sell exotic seafood.....


......and entrails of animals.


We enjoyed trying various foods there, but I couldn't help but feel like becoming vegetarian after seeing the rows of skinned bunnies (complete with eyes) or the piles of skinned lamb heads (complete with eyes and teeth). I know it's a delicacy in some cultures but I guess I don't like thinking about what my hamburger used to look like. Ick! I know, I know. I'm a hypocrite.

No comments: