Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Holly's 1st bus ride & Lori's 1st train mistake





Last night Holly and I were invited to a friend's house for dinner. I was glad to receive the invitation - not only because these are good friends, but because I got a break from airport food and I was able to do some much needed laundry.

Holly and I took the bus to get there since we don't have a car. In Amsterdam, dogs are allowed on trains, buses and trams so we climbed onto Bus 195 for our journey. It was Holly's first bus ride and she was generally fine with it - but the lack of traction on the floor made the trip interesting. She was sliding all over the place and couldn't figure out how to hold on. I'm sure she'll get better with practice.

Then this morning on the way to work I had my own transportation fun. I had fallen into the habit of going to track 3 at Schiphol, taking any train headed towards Central Station. My office is at Sloterdijk station which is the 2nd stop. Until today, every train we've caught has stopped there. Not today though. I unknowingly caught the express train to Central Station. I discovered this shortly after the doors closed and rode all the way into the city where I had to turn around and head back. I was about 40 minutes late to work, but luckily the team cut me some slack.

Tip of the day: ALWAYS read the stops on the sign before jumping on a train :-)

No comments: