Saturday, July 5, 2008

A nice birthday



Today the landlords came over to do some minor repairs and they gave me a lovely pot of Gerbera daisies as a birthday present. They also invited us to Dim Sum after Brett gets settled. I'm not about to turn down an offer to find good Dim Sum from a native of Hong Kong, so I'm looking forward to it.

Then this evening a friend brought me some yummy treats from his British foods shop. He remembered that I love "Hob Nobs," which are a "digestive biscuit" with absolutely NO nutritional value - despite the healthy sounding description. They're graham cookies dipped in chocolate, and they're quite addicting.

We later walked to dinner at a Chinese restaurant in the neighborhood. The bill for 2 appetizers and 2 entrees (without alcohol) was 77 Euro (about $120)! That's about 3x the price of a similar meal back in the US. The food was tasty, but it wasn't 3x as tasty. I either need to start cooking more again or I need to find a cheaper neighborhood for dinner. We had dessert at an ice cream shop across the street and my cinnamon ice cream was delicious and a relative bargain at 1 Euro ($1.60) :-)

After dinner we took Holly for a nice stroll around the canal. It was a great way to end the day.

No comments: